Accountant - UNITE HERE - UNITE HERE! (New York, NY)
Accountant for a progressive labor union. UNITE HERE is fighting for dignity, living wages and affordable health care for low wage workers. We represent approximately 250,000 workers in the hotel, textiles, industrial laundry, gaming and food service industries throughout the United States and Canada.
This position is located in our Shared Services Center at headquarters on 7th Avenue.
Responsible for review and analysis of accounting and accounts receivable practices of the Shared Services Center ("SSC") and union affiliates using SSC Services. Provide confirmation that activities meet generally accepted accounting principles and adhere to policies of UNITE HERE, the Shared Services Center and all appropriate governmental agencies and oversight bodies. Monitor Shared Services Center bookkeeping and billing. Provide services to participating affiliates including budget preparation and review, 1099's, Form 990 Return and Department of Labor Form LM-2, LM-3. Prepare Departmental financial reports.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Review, comment and suggest modifications to the internal control design of the SSC.
- Conduct audit testing of SSC work and identify reportable issues.
- Determine compliance with policies and procedures.
- Review, comment, suggest modifications to and report on procedures regarding bookkeeping and accounting activities of the participating affiliates.
- Verbally communicate findings to senior management. Prepare written reports.
- Monitor SSC billings. Review and analyze estimated hours against actual hours. Create reports to document necessary changes in normal billings. Review SSC billings to participating affiliates for accuracy.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure of participating affiliates.
- Review general ledgers of participating affiliates for conformity to SSC record-keeping practices and policies.
- Review bank reconciliations for conformity to SSC record-keeping practices and policies.
- Review financial statements of participating affiliates for accuracy and completeness.
- Prepare monthly journal entries for participating affiliates.
- Prepare budgets and budget reviews for participating affiliates.
- Coordinate the work related to the preparation of the annual reports.
- Prepare 1099's LM-3, LM-2 and Form 990 Returns for selected participating affiliates
- Other duties as required.
- Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting with from an accredited four-year institution. Master's degree preferred.
- 2 to 4 years' experience preparing Form 990 returns
- 2 to 4 years' experience preparing LM-2 and LM-3 reports.
- 3 to 5 years' experience with QuickBooks.
- 3 to 5 years' experience with QuickBooks Payroll Services.
- Moderate to exceptional Microsoft Office skills
- Strong analytical, written/verbal communication, interpersonal, and relationship skills
- Strong accounting skills
- Prior bookkeeping and auditing experience
- Ability to learn regulatory reporting requirements of the IRS, DOL and PRB.
- Ability to travel.
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment.
• Post ID: 36830674 newyork