What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is looking for out-of-the-box thinkers who are smart, hard-working, and really want to help transform the way we do operations. This is a great opportunity for you to bring your technical skills and experience to life as part of a team within a team.
This team exists to bring engineering and software solutions to operations problems. We are looking for individuals who think long term while dealing with day to day break/fix situations. This person will facilitate all aspects of infrastructure operations and lifecycle management across our domestic and internationally hosted platform. They will be the author or tester of playbooks to drive our automation further following every newly identified scenario. Finally, they will travel to be the hardware and infrastructure experts when faced with highly complex issues onsite.
A successful candidate will have a passion for exploiting open-source tools take pride in sharing and collaboration. Leveraging Openstack is part of the vision for transforming operations.
- Work with internal groups helping to identify service issues and solutions.
- Run coordination and execution of infrastructure operations utilizing remote-hands
- Identify areas for process and efficiency improvement within datacenter operations; recommend solutions and assist in overseeing implementation
- Ensure all necessary operational processes and procedures are carried out with a high level of attention to detail, expediency and on-time delivery
- Develop tool sets for analysis that interact with internal data systems and platforms
- Enhance internal processes for escalation and problem identification.
- Train and educate team members on technical findings and solutions.
- Engage in and improve infrastructure lifecycle from operations to improvements
- Maintain VCP infrastructure by measuring and monitoring availability and overall system health
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of network and datacenter diagrams and detailed site documentation
- Coordinate with appropriate vendors for equipment purchasing, shipping, RMA’s, etc
- Monitor datacenter capacity and provide analytics & forecasts for added or reduced capacity as required
- Generate appropriate reports on datacenter metrics for management
- Travel on an as-needed basis both domestically and internationally to accomplish on-site maintenance
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
- Demonstrable experience including:
- Experience within a technical service organization or datacenter operations organization
- Knowledge of IP networking, VPN's, DNS, load balancing and fire walls
- Love for taking building, understanding and fixing hardware
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Thorough understanding of TCP/IP and ability to manage servers and direct contract personnel remotely
- Ability to communicate with precision and clarity with remote-hands technicians over the phone to execute datacenter deployment plans accurately
- Expert cabling techniques -- ability to cable very dense server cabinets neatly and cleanly without cable management
- Willingness to learn new technologies
- Willingness to enhance team learning environment by providing and encouraging mentorship and technical leadership
- Experience working with servers and network technologies
- Strong documentation skills
- Experience using an operational ticketing system to record changes and work history details
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally and have a valid passport or ability to obtain one
- Experience with monitoring tools (Icinga2, Monasca, Nagios, Ganglia, Zabbix)
- Experience with distributed storage solutions (iSCSl, Ceph, Swift, other)
- Scripting skills (e.g. Python, Shell, Ruby, Perl, other)
- Data analysis using Python, R or similar
- Experience with OpenStack
- Experience working with cloud builds
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6769816-verizon-cloud-platform-support-hardware-engineer
• Post ID: 101705453 newyork