What you’ll be doing...
This role is a strategic, multi-disciplined technologist. He/She will be a hands-on engineering leader with deep coding skills, DevOps/SDLC platform and tooling, as well as Cloud Platform technologies. This person is a continuous learner that is passionate about teaching, mentoring, and coaching others on improving how we build technology. Contributing to Open Source projects is a plus. This role will work closely with teams to transform the way they work, leveraging Agile, DevOps, and Cloud principles and practices. He/she will be responsible for providing assistance and direction to other teams, ensuring that all technologies work effectively together. The individual will be required to have experience across multiple technologies and applications and directly impact the Public Cloud and DevOps transformation across Verizon.
- Recruit and onboard high energy, high velocity engineering talent to build and provide the Engineering practices services.
- Provide hands-on technical coach, accelerating the learning of Engineers across Verizon
- Lead technology practices to pair with engineering teams to design and implement scalable, secure, and high performance solutions that enable development teams to move faster
- Drive technology strategy for efforts to improve overall developer experience and productivity
- Drive strategy, patterns, (and working code) for how we apply engineering practices across Verizon.
- Drive innovation by assessing, piloting, building DevOps/Cloud tooling and services to improve overall developer experience and productivity.
- Champion engineering communities of practices across the organization
- Lead external community engagement efforts focused on strengthening Verizon’s leadership and influence in the DevOps and Cloud community
- Advisory role to SVPs and ability to influence key technology strategies
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six or more years of application development experience / expert programming language proficiency (Java, Ruby, C/C++, Node.JS, etc.)
- Strong communication and influencing skills
- Three or more years using Agile, Lean, and DevOps practices
- Two or more years RESTful API development
- Strong ability to guide/lead teams and individuals toward beneficial outcomes
- Expert-level understanding of automation practices throughout the development, build, and deployment phases of the application life-cycle
- Expertise with cloud-based infrastructure-as-a-service platforms: AWS, Google Compute Engine, Azure, Soft Layer, OpenStack, etc.
- Expertise with configuration management and automation tools such as: Chef, Puppet, and Ansible
- Expertise with orchestration template technologies such as: OpenStack Heat, AWS Cloud Formation, Azure Resource Manager, Google Cloud Deployment Manager, and Hashicorp Terraform
- Expertise in developing cloud-native applications that adhere to Microservices and twelve-factor application principles.
- Experience with programming and scripting languages: Ruby, Go, Python, Perl, bash, ksh
- Experience with development using Github or Bitbucket
- Experience with continuous integration and deployment technologies such as: Bamboo, Cruise Control, Continuum, Jenkins CI, and Artifactory
- Demonstrated ability to drive strong Testing practices (TDD/BDD, Test Automation, CI, etc.)
- Experience with test-driven development frameworks for application and infrastructure code
- Experience with telemetry solutions such as: DataDog, Sensu, Graphite, Influxdb,
- Experience with logging and reporting solutions such as: Logstash, Elasticsearch, and Kibana (ELK), Grafana, or Splunk
- Experience with containers and container scheduling and management platforms such as: Docker, rkt, Mesos, or Kubernetes
- Experience with platform-as-a-service technologies such as: Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform, or Heroku
- Three or more years of relevant experience including in managing Linux/Unix platforms in web-scale deployments
- Experience in building high-performance infrastructures that are scalable and resilient
- Proven ability create clear and detailed technical diagrams and documentation
- Demonstrated ability to roll up your sleeves and implement alongside the other engineers being coached and developed
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6805616-lead-systems-engineer-cloud-and-devops-coach
• Post ID: 117871228 newyork