The Software Engineering Manager will be a key member of a small, agile team within Verizon’s new Smart Communities and Venues (SCV) team, primarily supporting the Executive Director of Urban Technology in launching Palo, the “payphone of the 21stcentury”, as well as future products.
The team is working on rapidly deploying Palo in the first cities, requiring coordination of outsourced development as well as working towards brining development in house and building out the team to do so. The Software Engineering Manager will support all engineering-focused decisions, especially those focused on software.
The SCV team works very closely with the leadership of Verizon’s
Products and New Business (PNB) division. The PNB organization is set to drive tens of Billions in revenue over the coming years.
This is a unique opportunity to not only help design the future of the company but also directly contribute to execution, within a small team in a well-established company.
Lead the technical design and implementation of all software in the Urban Technology Team, including:
- Driving all aspects of software development including requirements definition, design, implementation, unit testing, and integration.
- Leading a team of software engineers. Plan tasks, lead code and design reviews
- Gathering requirements, with larger team, to define high level architecture, collaborate with senior developers across the team on feature design
- Reviewing and approve the detailed designs
- Being responsible for budget planning, resources and tools to deliver against roadmap
- Overseeing detailed designs, implementation, and test plan reviews to ensure high quality deliverables.
- Working closely with stakeholders to provide status, iterative releases, and make design decision throughout the development
- Keeping up with the latest software industry technology trends and best practices
- Managing Agile Software Process with production ready code every two weeks
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Six or more years of experience in software-focused leadership roles
Ideally, you'll also have:
- Curious and collaborative visionary, someone excited about tackling the hard problems in technology
- Passionate about creating and iterating on consumer-facing software products and tools of the future
- Ability to lead dynamic, start-up like teams and direct their work across the varied resources and teams in a large, leading technology company
- Exercises independent judgment and discretion in overall project management by prioritizing, planning and tracking project progress
- Designs, develops and modifies programs, including prototypes.
- Researches product development options and provides analysis for product direction.
- Consults with internal departments to identify customer needs and include into project objectives. Provides support regarding product development to internal departments.
- Manages and directs four to five software developers. Evaluates employee performance, sets expectations and goals for department and individual staff members, recruits, disciplines and trains staff.
- Ability to create related documentation
- Obsessed with process control and software release management practices
- Seasoned organizational relationship manager
- iOS/Android platform expertise
- Backend Applications expertise including Django/Python/NoSQL/AWS
- 10+ years experience leading software development in agile organizations.
- Technical degree (STEM) preferred, or equivalent experience
- Experience working in strict agile environment
- Experience implementing software solutions in novel hardware concepts
- Experience with security
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.