2013-14 High School French or Italian Teacher - Harlem Village Academies (New York, NY)
What makes Harlem Village Academies different?
At HVA, we emphatically believe that excellent teachers are the most important element of excellent schools. So we thoughtfully design every aspect of our schools to support, develop, and empower our teachers. We deliberately create an ideal environment and rich intellectual life for teachers. By designing schools for teachers, we ensure an excellent education for all children.
As a Harlem Village Academies teacher, you will . . .
· Work every day with the best: an amazing team of talented, hardworking, fun, intelligent colleagues, who are passionate about educational excellence.
Â· Experience unparalleled professional development. Share best practices with colleagues and receive personalized instructional coaching throughout the year.
Â· Feel empowered and respected. Make important curriculum and instructional decisions. Serve with a team of teachers to make innovative decisions about school culture and systems.
Â· Feel a passionate commitment to serving the needs of our students, and an equal commitment to helping your colleagues learn and grow as educators.
At HVA High, we develop students of fine character who will graduate from college and make a positive contribution to society. Our students must master a core set of skills in order to graduate. Moreover, they must become sophisticated and critical thinkers, coherent writers, confident speakers, and avid readers, for we seek to inspire in every student a passion for intellectual inquiry and a genuine love of learning.
As a teacher at HVA High, you will offer your students rigorous training in your subject of expertise and a master class in leadership. With other great teachers, you will create your own curriculum and lessons, in line with HVA's mission and standards. You'll build your students' deep understanding of the most conceptual levels of their studies, set ambitious goals for them and inspire them to give their very best every day.
Our ideal candidate is a smart, passionate, experienced educator, with an unshakeable belief that all students can learn at the highest level. Your deep knowledge of your subject is matched only by your ability to inspire students to love it like you do. You have a record of high performance in your past teaching. You build caring, strong relationships with students. You get around any obstacle to accomplish ambitious goals. You're genuinely warm and kind, and thrive on a dynamic team. And you love to learn and improve your teaching!
- Develop and teach highly engaging, academically rigorous curriculum and lessons, aligned with HVA standards
- Inspire students to hold themselves to a high standard of academics and character
- Establish and uphold classroom routines to ensure a focused, safe and caring environment
- Analyze assessment data and use it to inform your instruction
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- Maintain close relationships with families, including phone calls and conferences
- Contribute to the school community by leading a club, reading community, or athletic team
- Minimum two years full-time classroom teaching experience, in your subject, at the high school level. Four or more years of teaching experience strongly preferred.
- Outstanding instructional skills, including the ability to motivate and challenge students
- Very strong demonstrated track record of student achievement in your past teaching
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain a warm, strict, orderly environment
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
- Desire to work with folks who are super smart, and also take themselves very seriously
• Post ID: 36489381 newyork