Immediate Opening: Teacher Intern - Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School (New York, NY)
An Invitation for Aspiring Teachers to Apply for the Position of:
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is a rigorous, college preparatory school in South Brooklyn. We believe that every student deserves an opportunity to succeed in the college and career of their choice and accept no excuses in pursuit of this goal. Opened in August 2009, Coney Island Prep currently serves over 350 scholars in grades 5-8. The school will add an additional ninety 5th grade scholars every year until it grows to serve approximately 650 students in grades 5 – 12. On the 2011 – 2012 NYC DOE Progress Report, Coney Island Prep ranked in the top 6% of schools citywide, and has earned an A every year that is has been in operation.
What We Offer
A Well Rounded Program:In addition to a particular emphasis on the basics of reading, writing, and math, we believe in the power and necessity of a rich and varied school day for children, including Art, PE, Ethics, a range of enrichment classes and small group advisory sessions.
A Commitment to Serving the Students Who Need Us the Most: 82% of our scholars live in poverty, 23% are classified as students with special needs, and 13% are English Language Learners.
A Diverse Student Body: The diversity of our student body echoes the diversity of our neighborhood. In our middle school, 47% of our scholars are black or African American, 24% are Hispanic or Latino, 17% are white, and 10% are Asian.
An Entrepreneurial Culture: Our teachers have a significant hand in shaping our direction, both instructionally and culturally, and our expansion provides frequent opportunities for teachers to step up and take on leadership positions.
A Commitment to Professional Development: We have designed a comprehensive professional development program to ensure that all of our teachers receive the support and guidance they need to effectively support the learning of every student, including frequent observation with timely and relevant feedback
The Teacher Intern position is a great opportunity for recent college graduates who are interested in pursuing a career in education, but do not have prior teaching experience. This one-year internship allows you to gain valuable experience by taking on responsibilities both inside and outside of the classroom, while receiving exceptional professional development throughout the year. At the end of the internship year, Teacher Interns are well positioned for a full-time teaching role.
Mindsets and Experience
- Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep's mission
- Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college of their choice
- Bachelor's degree
- Professional demeanor and excellent organizational skills
- Self reflective and open to frequent feedback, with the ambition and desire to grow as teacher
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- A positive, solution-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
- Willingness to be a team player.
- Support two grade teams in planning field trips, grade-wide incentive programs, and hallway and classroom decoration.
- Support two grade teams with general administrative responsibilities, including entering grades, making copies, and maintaining classroom libraries.
- Grade and enter data on homework for all subjects for two grade levels.
- Assist homeroom teachers in running a structured homeroom in the morning and afternoon.
- Serve as an advisor to approximately 10 students.
- Support students' academic achievement through individual or small-group tutoring.
- Assume a high level of personal responsibility for the progress of all students.
- Take on a proactive part in creating a positive, structured, results-oriented and fun school culture.
- Commit to a school culture of consistency by implementing school-wide systems, structures and procedures.
Benefits and Compensation
- Teachers Interns receive an annualized salary of $25,000.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental and vision, as well as a generous retirement benefit package.
- Teacher Interns are provided with laptops and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in the classroom.
• Post ID: 36994090 newyork