KIPP NYC College Prep High School Science Teachers - Biology, Chemistry, Physical Science, and
About KIPP NYC:
KIPP NYC is a non-profit network of free, public charter schools that prepare students for success in college and life. In 1995 we started our first middle school, KIPP Academy, in the Bronx. Our goal was to graduate students with the strength of character and academic abilities needed to succeed in high school, college and beyond – and in so doing, to prove what is possible in urban schools. Today, our New York City network is comprised of five middle schools, three elementary schools, one high school, and KIPP Through College, a comprehensive support program for our alumni. KIPP NYC serves over 3,700 KIPP students and alumni, employs 420 talented professionals, and has a combined operating budget of over $56 million. Upon realizing our current growth plan, KIPP NYC will have eleven schools, serve more than 6,500 students and alumni, and employ more than 500 staff.
About KIPP NYC College Prep High School:
KIPP NYC College Prep is a free college-preparatory public school serving students from KIPP NYC's four middle schools. In July 2009, KIPP NYC College Prep opened its doors to its founding 9th grade class. Over the course of four years, the high school will grow to serve nearly 800 KIPP NYC students, and in 2013, we will watch with pride as our founding class graduates from high school with the knowledge, skills, and character to succeed in college, work, and life.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The KIPP NYC College Prep High School Science Department is looking for additional biology, chemistry, physical science, and physics teachers for the 2013/2014 school year due to increased student enrollment. New teachers will be part of a science team of 11 instructors as KIPP NYC College Prep enters its 5th year. We are looking for teachers who have a passion for science and want to be an integral part of the creation of a strong science department for a growing school â including the development of AP Biology and AP Chemistry programs. KIPP NYC College Prep science teachers will have the opportunity to teach senior science electives and take part in science teacher-specific professional development.
General responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Planning a college preparatory curriculum that combines the school's standards, New York State standards, and, most importantly, fosters critical thinking.
- Executing thoughtful, rigorous daily college preparatory lessons.
- Assessing student progress, and communicating results to students, families, and colleagues.
- Providing individual and small group instruction until all students achieve mastery.
- Modeling the school's values in all communications with students, families, and staff.
- Advising a small group of students to success through their four years of high school.
KIPP NYC is looking for exceptional teachers who have achieved dramatic results with their students and have a strong interest in building a school of excellence from the ground up. We are seeking individuals from all backgrounds who believe in KIPP NYC's mission and who have the potential to excel as educators and leaders within our building.
- Zest, grit, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor
- A passion for being, mission-driven school culture
- A strong desire to become a better teacher by joining the KIPP NYC team and family
- Demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of traditionally under-served students
- A commitment to relentless professional and personal growth inside and outside of school.
- Ability and desire to work closely with a team of committed colleague who challenge assumptions in service of letting the best idea win out for our students.
- At least three years of teaching experience strongly preferred
- New York State teacher certification in the appropriate content area
• Post ID: 36490480 newyork