What you’ll be doing...
The Consultant Health & Safety will report into the Global EHS organization, providing Subject Matter Expert (SME) support and oversight for all aspects of health and safety program development and implementation within their assigned geographic area of responsibility, by working with Global EHS staff, various HQ teams, field management and line level employees to: (1) ensure compliance with applicable EHS laws and regulations, and company requirements (2) minimize risk of employee injury/illness and impacts to the environment; (3) support changes in the business impacting EHS and (4) achieve EHS and company-wide goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Program development and oversight, developing, monitoring and providing necessary SME support ensuring all aspects of the health and safety program are implemented and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Education and awareness, ensuring company requirements and applicable regulations are understood by employees, and developing and implementing training programs, as needed.
- Auditing, identifying trends, addressing deviations and measuring overall program performance.
- Research, ensuring applicable regulations are understood and monitoring for change that impacts the business, requiring action.
- On-Call Duty and Crisis Management Team, providing support during serious event/incidents and safety emergencies impacting the business.
- Government Inspections, interfacing and following up with outside agencies during planned/unplanned inspections, investigations and inquires.
- Reporting, providing necessary facts and figures keeping Global EHS management and company leadership apprised of issues and program performance.
What we’re looking for...
- 7+years of Health and Safety compliance experience with proven ability to oversee large geographic areas involving multiple facilities, diverse work groups and reliance on indirect reports to achieve results.
- In-depth knowledge of federal and state occupational, health and safety regulations.
- General understanding of environmental regulations pertaining to CWA, CCA, EPCRA and RCRA.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with ability to interact both inside and outside the company effectively.
- Demonstrated proficiency with office automation/communication software and tools such as Microsoft Office/Google Suite, Jabber and other similar programs.
- Ability to travel when necessary (25% or less)
- Adaptive to change, open to different viewpoints and ability to innovate
- Current or previous experience in telecommunications or utility industry a plus
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
Education & Certification
- Bachelor’s of Science in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental, Engineering or others related degrees with equivalent work experience. Masters within Health and Safety discipline a plus.
- Certifications in one or more of the following areas: Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) or Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM)
- Other preferred certifications
- OSHA 40 Hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response
- OSHA Construction and/or General Industry Certifications
- Bucket Truck/Aerial Lift Operation
- Electrical Safety/NFPA70E
- Fall Protection
- RF Safety (non-ionizing)
- First Aid/CPR/AED
- Hazardous Communications
- DOT HM-181&126F
- First Aid/CPR (EMT a plus)
- Defensive Driving
- Fork Lift Operations
- DOT Commercial Motor Vehicle Operations
- Supervisor Reasonable Suspicion Drug and Alcohol
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6914321-health-safety-specialist-global-ehs
• Post ID: 136690537 newyork