What you’ll be doing...
The Litigation Paralegal is responsible for assisting senior attorneys on a variety of litigation matters. These responsibilities include assisting attorneys in preparing pleadings, filings, briefs, and memoranda; assisting with case intake; gathering information and conducting research on litigation matters; and handling small claims matters and subpoenas independently.
Some travel may be required.
Specific responsibilities include:
(1) Assisting senior attorneys with the management of litigation projects, document reviews, and trial support.
(2) Investigating the facts and circumstances of claims, primarily through internal contacts and resources (billing departments, customer relations, electronic archives/websites, etc.) to chronicle events and report possible solutions.
(3) Conducting computer research to locate information relating to litigation, such as CCMI for tariff material, PACER for bankruptcy filings and other federal court documents, and Lexis-Nexis for other legal materials (cases, articles, etc.).
(4) Working with outside counsel, company employees, and the company’s electronic discovery team and e-discovery vendors to preserve, collect, review and produce documents in connection with pending litigations.
(5) Organizing and tracking information to produce litigation-related reports.
(6) Drafting responses and collecting documents in response to subpoenas.
(7) Handling small claims matters and other small cases (such as those alleging violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act) independently, including investigating the facts of the matter, developing a proposed resolution, negotiating with the complaining customer, and, if necessary, appearing in court.
(8) Assisting with case intake, including categorization of new claims, reviewing cases to determine insurance coverage, entering case information into a matter management system, and transmitting cases to other groups in the legal department.
(9) Assisting various departments, including customer service, with legal questions directed to the company.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- A minimum of two years’ prior law firm or in-house experience2+ years of experience with handling small claims
- Four-year degree plus paralegal certification or JD from an accredited law school
- Proficiency with computer applications, especially Internet resources, litigation databases, spreadsheet programs, and trial presentation software
Even Better if you have:
- Ability to work independently
- Strong planning and time-management skills
- Good written and verbal communication and advocacy skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of telecommunications and civil procedure preferred
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/7667283-litigation-paralegal
• Post ID: 131701017 newyork