Lead System Safety Specialist : 90212542 : Long Island City - (long island city, new york)
Posted: Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:34 AM
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The Lead System Safety Specialist will develop, direct and support division:wide field implementation of Amtrak safety programs, rules, policies, and procedures in conjunction with Amtrak's System Safety Program and applicable regulatory requirements. This position provides technical safety:related oversight, guidance and support to division(s), departments, and contractor stakeholders to eliminate injuries/accidents and reduce workplace risk.
- Monitors field utilization of safety, health, injury and accident/injury prevention programs, initiatives and activities
- Performs qualitative and quantitative risk assessments and utilizes safety assessments, accident/injury trend analyses, safety performance data and input from other groups to identify potential safety deficiencies and corrective actions
- Oversees/directs regional testing of personal protective equipment and safety:related products, including implementation of Amtrak's prescription eyewear program. Performs locomotive engineer, yard/train crew and facility noise exposure evaluations, data retrieval, transmittal and result notifications as required
- Partners with division, regional and departmental staff in accident/injury and near miss investigations, risk reduction initiatives and hazard elimination analyses. Participates in the investigation of major rail incidents
- Leads regional efforts to identify opportunities to improve passenger safety. Develops and implements programs to reduce/eliminate passenger accidents and injuries. Performs station safety assessments in accordance with the requirements of 49 CFR part 270.
- Participates in the development and execution of local and site:specific safety activities/initiatives and the implementation of corporate safety practices, policies and programs
- Performs verification of implementation of and compliance with Amtrak safety programs through the critical self:assessment (CSA) program
- Supports Transportation, Engineering and Mechanical field safety initiatives
- Utilizes Operations department environmental and industrial hygiene resources when required
- Partners with labor/management and local safety committees to identify and eliminate potential safety hazards and to adhere to safety policies, programs and procedures
- Maintains a working liaison with regulatory agencies, advocacy organizations, and contractors
- Provides guidance and support to Deputy General Managers, Assistant Superintendents, Mechanical Superintendents, Master Mechanics, Facility/Back Shop
- Managers, Facility Managers, and Front Line Supervisors with applicable OSHA and FRA safety regulations, and Amtrak rules, safety policies, programs, procedures and initiatives
- Working knowledge of OSHA and FRA safety regulations, policies, programs, as well as personal protective equipment, safety engineering, accident/injury investigation procedures and operating rules, Amtrak safety rules and practices; experienced with behavior:based and/or risk reduction safety programs; able to develop Site Specific Work Plans and Job Safety Analyses
- Effective facilitation, coordination, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Some experience in a safety:related capacity or position
- Some experience in a safety management position responsible for safety program development
- Strong, state of the art knowledge of safety regulations, policies and programs
• Location: Queens
• Post ID: 95350591 newyork