Hotel Employees Action Team (HEAT) System Assistant - New York Hotel and Motel Trades Council,
For more information, visit http://www.hotelworkers.org
The New York Hotel and Motel Trades Council, AFL-CIO, is the union that represents approximately 30,000 hotel, restaurant and gaming workers in the greater metropolitan New York City area and the New York State Capital region. The Council works closely with its seven affiliated local trade unions from the following International Unions: OPEU, SEIU, UNITE HERE, IUOE, IBEW, IUPAT and USWA. The Hotel Trades Council is the strongest union, with the best contract, for hotel workers in North America.
We have built a rank-and-file leadership structure called the Hotel Employees Action Team (HEAT) System. The purpose of the HEAT System is to increase the participation of the membership in the union and to greatly enhance the union's ability to mobilize our members for large-scale action, in order to organize non-union workers, to fight for higher wages and better benefits, and to increase the rights of hotel workers.
Areas of Responsibility
HEAT Assistants work under the direction of HEAT System Supervisors, and spend much of their time meeting and working with the union's members in the hotels where they work. This is the best way to learn about what our union does and the industry conditions affecting the workers we represent.
HEAT Assistants may be assigned on short- or long-term bases to special projects and areas of repsonsibility that include, but are not limited to, grassroots organizing, contract enforcement, member mobilization, political action, operations, communications and strategic research. HEAT Assistants may be assigned to:
- Assist in the recruitment, training, and direction of rank and file leaders (HEAT Captains and HEAT Network Leaders);
- Assist in the coordination of political action efforts in assigned communities;
- Assist in the maintance of the union's databases of member and hotel information and helping the union to use these resources to increase member participation in the above-mentioned activities;
- Support research to define campaign targets, strategies and objectives;
- Assist in the preparation of written communications to rank and file leaders and members, and the public;
- Assist in the logistical support for a wide variety of union events and actions (including strikes and picket lines);
- Travel to assist with internal and external organizing.
- Prior union experience not needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice;
- Ability to motivate and inspire others;
- Ability to communicate respectfully and comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Ability to multitask, work efficiently and be well organized;
- Willingness to work long hours, often on short (or immediate) notice;
- Willingness to handle a wide range of changing responsibilities;
- Thorough attention to details;
- Resourcefulness and talent for problem-solving;
- Ability to learn quickly and grow into positions of greater repsonsibility;
- Ability to handle physically and mentally demanding assignments;
- Integrity, persistence and determination;
- Loyalty to the organization;
- Reliability, good judgement and cooperative attitude;
- Bachelor's degree or higher preferred;
- Knowledge of another language, especially Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Russian or Polish, preferred;
- Experience working in the hotel, restaurant, hospitality or other service industries preferred;
- Prior experience not needed.
Opportunities for Advancement
This is an entry-level job offering good prospects for promotion to those persons who distinguish themselves by their intelligence, resourcefulness, and dedication.
• Post ID: 36993886 newyork